About the Work
- A healing installation performance that is co-created by the audience.
- An art therapy performance that is all the more beautiful for its transience.
- An installation performance of paper objects that touches the soul!
- A performance co-created by the audience, who become the performers themselves.
A Heartwarming Hour for You, Who is As Fragile As Paper!
Paper Human is a healing performance. Through the audience’s physical form, he gives birth to and destroys the new “paper human,” to make the moment memorable and remind people of the value of this cycle in their own lives.
Paper Human demonstrates the fragility and vulnerability of human nature through the flimsy material of paper. The paper figures, which were created either in part or whole by modeling them after the audience members’ bodies, come to life during the performance, drawing their original forms to the stage and including them in the act. They reveal the frailty of human desire and despair, and the figures themselves meet their end through the natural elements of wind, water and fire. This new form of performance, which blurs the lines between the divisions in art, allows the audience to participate and thus become emotionally involved in the show.
Paper Human is a ritual of sorts, in which the audiences take center stage, to give life and take it away from models of themselves, thus experiencing the process meaningfully on a personal level. Participants in this art therapy performance face the core fundamentals of life, and confront and question these things internally.
Director and performer of this show Lee Cheolsung functions as the masseur that leads the show, as the assistant that moves the figurines, and even as the guide that connects the dolls to their originals.
- 2016 Officially invited performance at Chuncheon Mime Festival
- 2015 Officially invited performance at Chuncheon Puppet Theater Festival
- 2013 Officially invited performance at the Gwacheon Festival
- 2013 Gyeonggi Cultural Foundation’s selection for the Byul Byul Art Project (site specific performance for Gwacheon’s Ononsa)
- 2013 Officially invited performance for the Uijeongbu International Music Theater Festival
2012 Officially invited guest of the Hi Seoul Festival (Selected by the 2012 - New Art Trend Project as emerging artist / outdoor performance at the Gwanggyo Gallery)
2012 Special Performance at the Korea Performing Arts Center (Selected - Performance for category of Interdisciplinary Art) (performed at the Arko Arts Center’s Small Theater)
2012 Invited guest performance at the Korea Experimental Arts Festival (- Selected for tour of Seoul by the Hi Seoul Festival / performed on roof of Seoul Art Space_Seogyo)
- 2011 Arts Council Korea’s selection for Experimental Art and Diversity Promotion (performed at Seoul Art Space_Seogyo)
- 2011 Officially invited performance at the 6th Physical Theater Festival